For Allah loves those who turn to Him constantly and He loves those who keep themselves pure and clean…” (al-Baqara, 222).
Sayyiduna Ibn Abbas (RadiyAllahu Ta’ala Anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) came upon two graves and said: “Their occupants are being punished…One of them went about spreading slander. The other did not clean himself properly after urination…” (Bukhari and Muslim)
ISTINJA means cleaning the private parts after passing out urine and stool by using clean water and earth etc.
1. It is SUNNAH to make ISTINJA after passing out urine, stool etc.
2. It is permissible to use lumps of dry earth for ISTINJA, provided the body is properly cleaned.
3. For passing urine and stool, one should go to a place of privacy (toilet) and seat oneself at ease. After relieving, wash the private parts until satisfied that they have become clean.
4. It is MAKRUH to make ISTINJA with coal, bones, glass, baked bricks, printed paper etc. It is not proper to use paper for ISTINJA which is also used for writing and printing. But with toilet paper it is different. It can be used for ISTINJA, since it was made only for that purpose and not for writing or printing.
5. It is MAKRUH to pass out urine while standing.
6. It is MAKRUH-E-TAHREEMEE to face or show the back to the KA’BA when passing out urine or stool.
7. It is FORBIDDEN to seat little children facing or showing their backs towards the KA’BA when passing out urine or stool.
8. Remove rings, badges or anything else on which the name of ALLAH, His RASOOL, Quranic verses or Hadith are written. lt is permitted to have them in the pocket.
9. Use the LEFT HAND only in ISTINJA.
10. Do not urinate or pass stool on a public road or path, beneath a fruit tree, or a tree giving shade or in a well, dam or river.
11. If you are in an open place and there is no toilet, then sit in a place where you cannot be seen by others. Before entering the toilet recite:
“O Allah! I seek protection in you from the MALE and FEMALE DEVIL.”
Enter the toilet with the LEFT FOOT. After leaving the toilet. Step out with the RIGHT FOOT and once OUTSIDE RECITE: “O Allah! I seek you pardon. All praises are due to ALLAH who has taken away from me the discomfort and granted me relief.”
Nasiha of our Akaabireen:
A man wrote to Hadhrat Hakimul Ummat that he (the author of the letter) was involved in the disease of casting evil glances. Hakimul Ummat replied: “What, is this not controllable?
Casting an evil glance is a volitional act (i.e. done by one’s own free will. Nobody is forcing you). Hence, it is within one’s ability to control and abstain from it, even though it may be difficult. However, people just refuse to undergo any difficulty. But … the punishment of Jahannam is most severe and difficult. I asked the man who is involved in this disease of evil glances:
“If the husband of the woman is watching you, will you still stare at her?”
He said: “No!”
I said to him: “The Greatness of Allah in your heart does not even equal the greatness which your heart has for her husband. Allah Ta’ala is Omnipresent. He watches our conditions at all times. At all times He is aware of our evil conditions. However, we are not deterred. We are not conscious of being watched by Allah Ta’ala every moment. If this consciousness is developed there will not be the audacity to sin in this way.”